In terms of lawn games, perhaps there are none as iconic as cornhole. Though it is mostly a phenomenon in the United States, the activity has also become a notable activity in a variety of European countries. In a world where videogames are a primary form of party-based entertainment, it can be very refreshing to have a game that can be casually played outside.
Over the years, cornhole has developed a reputation for being used at both parties and professional sporting events. For this reason, the pastime has become one of the most notable party games, appealing to seasoned professionals just as much as first-timers.
If you’ve never purchased a cornhole set, finding the ideal product for your needs can feel like a daunting task. After all, with so many different products with distinguishable features, how do you begin your search?
To help you find the perfect cornhole set for your needs, we’ve created a buyer’s guide to highlight each step of the shopping process. We’ll be giving you advice on what to look for in a product, the different types of sets out there and looking at 5 of the market’s most notable products!
|Tailgating Pros Cornhole Boards|
|GoSports Cornhole PRO Regulation Size Bean Bag Toss Game Set|
|GoSports Solid Wood Premium Cornhole Set|
|GoSports Cornhole Bean Bag Toss Game Set — Superior Aluminum Frame|
|GoSports Cornhole PRO Regulation Size Bean Bag Toss Game Set (LED, Black)|
1. Tailgating Pros Cornhole Boards — Best Overall Product
A Durable and Lightweight Design
The first thing you’ll notice about this product is that it feels very lightweight when compared with other wooden products on the market. The solid wood frame is also very sturdy and is not easily scratched. In particular, the legs attached to the boards are flexible as well, allowing you to easily bring the set with you wherever you go. Despite being made of wood, the boards are surprisingly able to handle a significant amount of rain before showing any sign of degradation.
Fitting for Any Situation
Because this product is both very durable and portable, it is surely the best product for those looking to have a single set to use for competitions and parties. Of course, it’s worth noting that you will need to purchase the 4 foot by 2 foot set in order to have a product that is a suitable size for tournaments. The size that you purchase will also affect the price, so it’s important to factor that in before you purchase the product. If you do not plan on using your boards for a competitive event, we recommend that you get the cheaper 3 foot by 2 foot set.
Fulfill All of Your Desires
When considering this set, it is important to factor in the fact that you can adjust the set in many different ways. You can even choose from over 30 different color schemes for the bags! Those looking to have a particular size of boards will appreciate the inclusion of both regulation and non-regulation sizes. In the event that you want to use your set when it is dark outside, you can also get boards that come with LED lights to make sure that you never lose sight of your target! If you decide to extensively customize your product, you should be aware that the price will be more and subsequently prohibitive for some consumers.
|✅ Over 30 colors to choose from||⛔ Price might be prohibitive for some|
|✅ Option to include LED lights|
|✅ Made of 100% premium wood|
|✅ Foldable legs|
|✅ The ideal set for any situation|
2. GoSports Cornhole PRO Regulation Size Bean Bag Toss Game Set — Best Full-Size Portable Product
Ready for Competitions and Parties
This product is a great solution for those looking for a cornhole set to use in a variety of different contexts. The fact that it comes with regulation size boards makes it suitable for competitions, while the board’s foldable components make it easy to take to parties. The gaps in-between the foldable parts of the boards might lead to some complications if a bag gets stuck, but overall this set is wonderful for both competitions and parties.
A Very Durable Design
One of the biggest benefits of this set is that the design is incredibly durable. The boards use aluminum frames that are sturdy, making it difficult to scratch. The boards also come with bumpers on the corners to make sure that the frames aren’t damaged while moving the set! The price might be prohibitive for some, but it can be worth paying a premium price for a quality product.
|✅ Durable design||⛔ Price might be prohibitive for some|
|✅ Aluminum frames included||⛔ Bags might get stuck in-between foldable parts|
|✅ Foldable boards|
|✅ Great for parties and competitions|
3. GoSports Solid Wood Premium Cornhole Set — Best Premium Product
The Ideal Set for Professionals
If you are someone who is looking to train specifically for professional competitions, it is very likely that you won’t be deterred by the price of this set. The 100% solid wood is completely stagnate and is not even remotely flimsy. Certain consumers might take issue with the fact that the boards are heavy, but professionals looking for a dedicated practice set will appreciate how similar the set is to products used at official competitions.
You Get What You Pay For
Unlike certain cornhole sets that are overpriced, you truly get what you pay for with this product. This product is not only very durable, but is pretty flexible in certain weather conditions. Not only does the wood sustain its form during rainy weather, but you can also put decals and other markings on it without damaging the product! The price might be prohibitive for some, making this a product that casual enthusiasts should avoid.
|✅ Wonderful and durable design||⛔ Price not worth it if you don’t require the stability|
|✅ 100% solid wood allows for climate changes||⛔ Difficult to transport|
|✅ Great for competitive players|
4. GoSports Cornhole Bean Bag Toss Game Set — Superior Aluminum Frame — Best Product for Parties
Having the best cornhole set for planning non-competitive events often means having boards that are able to withstand a variety of weather conditions while also being easy enough to transport. This set from GoSports fulfills both conditions, making it the best option for those looking for something specifically made for parties. The aluminum frames make it a very durable set and the smaller size (3 feet by 2 feet) makes it easy to bring with you wherever you go. There is also a carrying case included!
Only for Parties
Something to note about this product is that the size alone disqualifies it from being an acceptable set at competitions. If you’re someone who is looking for a product to use as a competitive training tool, you might want to reconsider purchasing this product.
Affordable and Customizable
Those looking to find a product that fits within a smaller budget will love this set. Depending on where you live, the shipping is also very affordable when compared to other options. In the event that you’re not satisfied with the red and blue color configuration, you can select a variety of other designs.
|✅ Customizable color design||⛔ Not good for competitions|
|✅ Affordable price|
|✅ Durable aluminum frame|
|✅ Ideal for parties|
|✅ Compact design|
5. GoSports Cornhole PRO Regulation Size Bean Bag Toss Game Set (LED, Black) — Best Nighttime Product
Perfect for Night Parties
This cornhole set is perfect for those who are looking for a product to use at night parties. The LED lights included with this set are among the best in the industry, lasting for 24-hours of light on just 3 AA batteries. The black design of the board also makes it particularly easy on the eyes during dark situations, making the LED lights even more helpful.
Be Prepared for Any Accident
Let’s face it—anything can happen at parties. In order to make sure that no “party foul” affects your cornhole set, this product is made up of a high-quality aluminum frame with a composite MDF surface. The overall form stays pretty consistent even with pressure on it, so you shouldn’t worry about anyone breaking the board by falling on top of it. In general, we recommend that you keep the area around your boards well-lit to avoid any types of injuries! The price might be prohibitive for some, but this really is the perfect party product. If you wanted to use it for competitive training purposes, it would also work!
|✅ High-quality LED lights last for 24 hours||⛔ Price might be prohibitive for some|
|✅ Strong and durable design|
|✅ Color scheme makes it easy on the eyes|
Buyer’s Guide | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Did Cornhole Get its Name?
As one of the most popular lawn activities in American culture, cornhole has been a defining part of American culture since the 19th century. However, the exact origin of the game is very much unclear, with many different theories being purported by modern pop culture. Some believe that cornhole was invented by Native Americans while others believe that the game’s origins actually come from Germany. Despite these theories, neither of these origin stories has sufficient historical proof, making it impossible to know which story is true. Though it is known that variations of cornhole have been played in the United States beginning in the late 19th century, there is no evidence of a specific starting point.
However, there is a definitive point at which what is now referred to as cornhole was patented in the United States. In 1883, Heyliger de Windt patented a game called “parlor quoits” that is virtually identical to the game we call cornhole today. The only difference between the two games is that parlor quoits uses square holes in the board while cornhole uses circles.
For many, the invention of parlor quoits is the closest thing we’ll have to an actual origin story of cornhole. Once parlor quoits was invented, it became a phenomenon and was sold in a variety of situations while rising in popularity. By the time the mid-20th century came around, lifestyle magazines were publishing guides on how to construct your own cornhole set!
The transition from parlor quoits to cornhole is even more ambiguous than the game’s exact origins. It is widely believed to be the result of parlor quoits being frequently played in the Midwest, where many people began playing the game with corn inside of the weighted bags. Around the same moment, this change was implemented it also became normal to have holes instead of squares! Both of these changes would go on to influence the game so much that people began simply referring to it as cornhole. This is the most common theory for how the game got its name, but it is still a theory that does not have historical evidence to support it.
How to Choose the Best Cornhole Set?
Cornhole sets are varied products and are created for many different purposes. For example, certain boards are created specifically for professional competitions, making it necessary to familiarize yourself with professional specifications if you want to compete.
In order to make sure you are choosing the right cornhole set for your specific needs, here are a few different factors to keep in mind:
- Size: The size of the board you are playing is the most important factor you should be considering when looking for a cornhole set. Certain boards are specifically created for the purpose of fulfilling professional cornhole requirements. You can tell that a board is specifically made for competitive purposes due to the boards themselves being 4 feet by 2 feet. On top of this, many professional boards will advertise themselves as “regulation size,” an indication that they are specifically made for competitions. That being said, having a regulation size set is not necessary for those looking to play cornhole. In fact, by getting a set that is smaller, you can actually save a great deal of money!
- Material of Board: The material of the board you get will greatly affect its quality. For instance, it is very traditional for cornhole sets to have boards made of wood. This helps the material be incredibly durable, but it doesn’t not make for particularly durable products if inclement weather appears. When posed with even light rain, certain cornhole sets risk being completely destroyed, requiring them to be brought in. In modern times, it is more common for manufacturers to incorporate metal and plastic into their designs to prevent them from being damaged by weather. This also makes it possible for consumers to play cornhole even during light rain, something that might be ideal for certain festivities.
- Folding Capabilities: Certain cornhole sets are more portable than others. If you are someone who is interested in purchasing a cornhole set for parties, we recommend that you find a set that is foldable. By doing this, you’ll be able to quickly change its position and bring it from one place to another! On the other hand, if you are specifically looking to train in a static and controlled environment, you might be better off purchasing a set that does not fold. It is also worth noting that folding sets are sometimes more flimsy than traditional sets, making them more fitting for casual play. If you are someone who specifically wants to play cornhole professionally, it’s probably best to purchase a non-folding set due to the potential for bags to get caught in the crevices of folding kits.
- Color Options: This is the least significant consideration to take into account when searching for a cornhole set, but it can have an effect on how easy your game is. If you purchase a cornhole set that is colored in only two different ways, that limits you to only playing with two people at a time. If you involve other players who share colors, it can become difficult to distinguish between the different bags. If you are someone who wants to have multiple people playing at once, we recommend you get a product that allows for more customization.
- Price: This factor is quite simple—certain cornhole sets might cost more than others. It is important for you to find a product that is an affordable price while also having most of the features that you desire. If you require certain features (i.e. a regulation size set), then perhaps it is best for you to increase your budget as a means of broadening your range of options.
What Are the Advantages of Cornhole Sets?
Cornhole sets are incredibly unique in the sense that they can appeal just as much to skilled athletes as they can casual players. This is because the game of cornhole itself is comprised of very easy actions, only requiring players to throw bags in holes. Cornhole is an easy enough game that anybody can have fun playing it while not requiring much effort to improve your skills and coordination. That being said, those looking to have an expert approach to the game can also do that, making it a great game to have at a party with a wide variety of people. Cornhole’s universal appeal is largely the reason why it has become an international phenomenon.
What is the Best Way to Use a Cornhole Set?
Unfortunately, there are no ways to use cornhole sets other than their intended purpose. “Life hacks” can be useful for some products, but there are no known techniques to using a cornhole set in more creative ways.
Precautions to Take When Using a Cornhole Set
Something important to keep in mind is that each cornhole set is created for significantly different purposes. For this reason, the way in which you prepare your cornhole set will differ with each product. In order to make sure that you are putting the product together properly, it is important to read the manual that is included with the product. Familiarizing yourself with the instructions will help you avoid being injured by the product.
Those looking to purchase folding cornhole sets should also be familiar with how to dismantle and assemble each set. By being familiar with the process, you can make sure that you do not make any mistakes while using your cornhole set.
Out of all the products we looked at for this guide, the Tailgating Pros Cornhole Boards is definitely the best product available. Despite GoSports dominating the market for affordable products, Tailgating Pros is a company that never ceases to bring high-quality products that are durable for a variety of situations.
This cornhole set is unique in the sense that it has the design of a durable wooden board without being remarkably heavy. Despite the fact that the weight can vary depending on the order, overall it feels more lightweight than other options available on the market. This type of durable accessibility makes it The included folding legs also make the boards easy to move, something that makes this product be just as fitting for a competition as it is for a lawn party.
At the end of the day, you should be choosing a cornhole kit that best fits your personal preferences. You know yourself better than anyone else, so we recommend that you ultimately choose a product that you are most fond of. Despite this, our list of the top 5 products on the market is meant to have enough variety that there is something for everyone. If you are unsure where to begin your search, you should take a look at one of the products on our top 5 list and then go from there.
We hope this guide has been helpful so that you are able to find a cornhole table that is both affordable and high-quality!